I don't drink coffee anymore. This is practically sacrilegious considering most of my jobs have been as a barista. Sometime last year-- and I'm sure this is a result of consuming grotesque and unhealthy amounts up at school in particularly heinous semesters of yore-- my stomach revolted and decided to try to kill me whenever I had a cup. I'm not one to engage in power struggles, especially not with my intestines, so I switched to tea. Tea and my stomach are great friends... for now.
But I could never completely give up the bad shit when it came to baking. My cupboard now contains several types of tea, and some instant coffee. Chocolate loves instant coffee, and I love them together. So how could I resist making some mocha chocolate chip cookies when I stumbled across the recipe? I couldn't, because I can't really resist much, especially when it comes to dessert.
So be like me and save your will power for fast food, smoking, hookers, or whatever your vice, because these cookies are worth giving in to.
Mocha Chocolate Chip Cookies
from lovin from the oven
2 cups flour
3 tablespoons instant coffee powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 sticks butter, cut into chunks
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pound chocolate chips or chunks
1. Whisk the flour, coffee, baking soda and salt together. Set aside.
2. Beat the butter in a mixer until lightened. Add granulated sugar and beat for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar and beat for another 30 seconds. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Add vanilla and beat until blended.
3. Turn mixer speed down and add flour mixture, mixing until just incorporated. Add chocolate and mix until evenly blended in.
4. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill in fridge for several hours to overnight.
5. Preheat oven to 350. Drop a heaping tablespoon full of dough onto sheets, leaving 2 inches between cookies. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
6. Cool on racks. They're best when warm!